Directorate of Onion and Garlic Research (DOGR)
About Directorate of Onion and Garlic Research (DOGR):
Onion and garlic are the world famous spice commodities, used for flavouring the dishes. Besides culinary purposes, these are considered as valuable medicinal items. The fungicidal and insecticidal properties of garlic are well identified. Dehydrated powder & flakes, and paste prepared out of onion and garlic provide rich agro-industrial base for these commodities.
India ranks second in area (9.59 lakh ha) and production (163.09 lakh tonnes) of onion and in case of garlic, also second in area (2.02 Lakh Ha) and production (11.50 Lakh tonnes), next to China (FAO STAT, 2015). Besides meeting domestic requirements, India exports 13.0 to 15.0 lakh tonnes of onion worth Rs. 3000 crores (APEDA Website, 2014). Over last 25 years the production of onion has increased from 25.04 to 163.09 lakh tonnes, while that of garlic from 2.16 to 11.50 lakh tonnes. The horizontal growth in area has contributed to total production rather than vertical growth per unit area. The productivity of both, onion (17.01 t/ha) and garlic (5.69 t/ha) is far low as compared to Netherlands, USA and China (FAO STAT, 2015).Poor yielding short day genotypes, susceptibility of all available genotypes to major pests and diseases and improper or inadequate use of production technologies lower down the productivity.
Realizing the importance of onion and garlic in the country ICAR established National Research Centre for Onion and Garlic in VIII Plan with its headquarter at Nasik in 1994. However, due to some working constraints, the Centre was shifted to Rajgurunagar on 16 June 1998. Over years, the centre has created better facilities for field and laboratories. The centre has been upgraded to Directorate of Onion and Garlic Research in December 2008. It also has an All India Network Research Project on Onion & Garlic with 25 participating centres all over the country.
To promote overall growth of onion and garlic in terms of enhancement of quality production, export and processing.
· To act as a repository of genetic resources and scientific information of onion and garlic
· To undertake basic and applied research for enhancing production and productivity of onion and garlic
· To undertake strategic research for technology development and production of quality seed of onion and garlic
· To promote utilisation and development of value added products through processing and post-harvest management practices
· To disseminate technology, provide advisory and consultancy services and promote entrepreneurship
· To develop linkages with national, international and private organisations in network mode for collaborative research programmes
Postal Address:Rajgurunagar, Pune – 410 505 (MS), India
E-mail: [email protected]
For more Government jobs, Please visit www.jobsms.co.in